Adapting two Canon lens to Sony = EF 16-35/2.8L III and EF 35/1.4L II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,428
Adapting two Canon lens to Sony = EF 16-35/2.8L III and EF 35/1.4L II

So I have interest in getting a 16-35mm f/2.8 and a 35mm f/1.4. Currently shooting both Sony and Canon and naturally lean toward the Canon version if it adapts well.

Let's start with the 35/1.4L II. Normally at this focal length I would want to go native since I would use Eye-AF and face detect with it but I continue to question the quality control of the Sony/Zeiss FE 35mm f/1.4 and the risk of getting a bad copy. I don't want to make the effort to continually seek for one that really works. So I am leaning toward the Canon. Is anyone using this adapted? I would end up using it on an A7RII and A9 so those are the two AF systems I currently care about. If your using it could you share your experience.

On the 16-35mm f/2.8 I am not afraid of adapting since AF speed is not as critical to me for this focal range. That said I have heard that the Sony GM here could be something special and so far is getting very good reviews. Has anyone compared the Canon and Sony GM head to head? If so can you please share your thoughts on these?

In general from 35mm up to 200mm I really want to use native lenses on the Sony to get Eye-AF since at some point I will be using it for portraits. Below and above that I don't mind adapting if it works well. In the case of the 100-400mmm the Canon did not adapt well so I splurged for the GM 100-400 and was happy I did.

So if you have opinions or experience here please share them. Thanks in advance.

Steve W.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 Sony a9 +27 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow