Wide/Ultra Wide Angle Zoom vs Wide Angle Prime

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FML New Member • Posts: 18
Wide/Ultra Wide Angle Zoom vs Wide Angle Prime

Howdy all, just picked up a Nikon 16-35 f/4 and do like it, but I don't have a lot of experience with zooms, ultra wide or tele. I've always been a "prime guy." I got the 16-35 because I wanted, obviously, that range from ultra wide to wide and figured that having one lens might be the best way to do that.

But after using it for a couple of days, I'm wondering if I should instead invest in a wide angle prime, I'm looking at the Nikon 24 1.8g. I figure it's lighter, sits in the "sweet spot" of a 16-35 or 18-35 and with me having more experience with primes, I could "zoom with my feet" as opposed to the lens.

For what it's worth, my other lenses are a 50 1.4G and a 70-200 f/4 (which I absolutely love). Maybe it'll take a bit of practice with the ultra wide zoom.

I've still got a couple of weeks to return the 16-35, so figured if I was feeling this way having had it for only a few days, it might not be meant to be. On the other hand, I could just go out and shoot and try it out more.

Thoughts?

P.S. - To answer the standard questions most will likely ask:

1. "What am I shooting?" Everything. I basically just wanted an "all purpose" wide angle lens and figure the 16-35 would be ideal since it would cover more of a range.

2. "You know you have to "get close" to really utilize an ultra wide lens, right?" Yes. it's a bit uncomfortable, but I do know that.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow