After couple of times out....

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rolleix Contributing Member • Posts: 791
After couple of times out....

I bough this lens used from B&H it was an 8+, it came with the two lens foot, strap, hood lens cover, manual and the Forest Gump case.

Now it seem to me thisĀ lens was owned by a motor sport photographer by the stickers he put on the hood. So a RealTree lensĀ  coat was order anyways. The glass it self is flawless with only a little dust in the filter witch a clean right away.

I do birds only(in the trees) in fly when I can and I only use a monopod to hike around about two miles. I was in the fence with the 400 2.8, 600 4.0, but the though of be confine to a tripod and me trying to point those to a tree top wasn't alentadora.

The lens was sharp and the focus awesome on my D7200 out of the hot UPS truck and the box. Not much heavy-bigger than the 300mm 2.8 VR I have being using, is a delight to use in a monopod and not so bad to hand hold when it need it to.

Can it be that this lens f4.0 is brighter that the 300 VR f4.0 with a 1.4 TC? But it seem to me it is. :-|The hood is long at about seven inches but is very lite, is very contrast when you nail the exposure just right, good corners, color rendering , the VR give me a "Wow", the direct light is very controlled and is fun to use all day long.

I haven't use it in a FX camera yet but I suspect it would be a better lens on one of those, because the bokeh and bla, bla, bla!!! The D500 is on wish list so I don't think it would see much of a FX camera.

I need to test it with the 1.4 TC and I will post some pics and what I think when I do.

This review is base  me using this lens wide open at f4.0

Rolleix's gear list:Rolleix's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 +10 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR
Telephoto prime lens • Nikon F (FX) • 2172
Announced: Aug 23, 2007
Rolleix's score
Average community score
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D500 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow