Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC with PDAF on a6000

Started Sep 24, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SvenusvdM New Member • Posts: 11
Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC with PDAF on a6000

I want to make this post because I've been searching through a lot of threads to find the information I was looking for regarding PDAF compatibility of the Tamron 18-200 lens. So this post is more a summary of the information I gathered and the experience I had with Tamron's dutch customer service.

My conclusion is that the Tamron 18-200 is fully compatible with the 179 PDAF focus points of the a6000, if you have the right firmware.

All black versions with serial number 025619 or higher already have the right firmware.
All silver versions with serial number 015313 or higher already have the right firmware.

If you happen to have an older version that does not work with all the focus points of the a6000, you can apply for a firmware upgrade through Tamron customer service. This is not an update you can install at home through your camera, the lens has to be sent to a service center. In my case this took about two weeks. I did not have the extended warranty period of 5 years (I've made an error when I registered) but they did not charge me anything (bought the lens 4 years ago).

I find the upgrade to be a huge improvement, AF is a lot faster.

SvenusvdM's gear list:SvenusvdM's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC +2 more
Sony a6000 Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow