D500 High ISO / Crappy Light Challenge

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
atalwar Regular Member • Posts: 173
D500 High ISO / Crappy Light Challenge

I know I am pushing the Limits here and I could have gotten much cleaner image with different camera settings (slower shutter, lower ISO), However I was trying to capture an Eagle in flight under very darb/black sky (Auto-ISO)) when this came along.

Sure a lot of detail is getting lost, which is expected, but would you call this acceptable to your standards, considering that the exposure was likely technically within 1/3 stop of correctness.

These are UnCropped, 100% Images.

The point being in some fields this might just be totally acceptable, yet extremely poor on other..

1.. How much grain of salt is acceptable for the Manufacturer High ISO claims in a-ctual usage?

2. All else being Equal, Would you rather underexpose to use lower ISO or will stick to "Get it RIght first in the Camera" and Bring it up in post?

Original Raw Export

Some Selective NR and Processing in Capture One

atalwar's gear list:atalwar's gear list
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon PowerShot G11 Nikon D500 +13 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow