Advice on Oly 7-14 f/2.8 vs. PL 8-16 f/2.8-4 and Capture One Pro 10 compatibility

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jeffpix
jeffpix Regular Member • Posts: 420
Advice on Oly 7-14 f/2.8 vs. PL 8-16 f/2.8-4 and Capture One Pro 10 compatibility

Dear all,

I am hoping to get some advice!

I have been learning about the various pros and cons of the Panasonic-Leica (PL) 8-18 mm f//2.8-4 and the Oly 7-14 mm f/2.8 ultra-wide-angle lenses. I have run into an apparent issue related to the compatibility of the PL 8-18 with Capture One Pro 10 and am trying to decide what to do about it.

I had tentatively decided that, overall, the PL would probably better fit my needs, partly because the use of filters with this lens is far more straightforward. With the Oly, you have to buy a special filter holder (and even an adapter for that holder in the case of Lee). I looked at the Lee system, and it seems expensive and bulky. I would be interested in hearing about various solutions that people have found for mounting filters on the Oly and whether any of them are really convenient. Some of them seem to have issues with vignetting.

I shoot both with and without filters, depending on the situation. But, I really like to know that I can go into iffy places and be able to protect the lens in a simple, quick way with a UV filter. Since my main uses are travel and hiking, the combination of the easier use with filters and the lighter weight of the PL suggests that it would be the better choice for me. (I would be interested in hearing about any disagreement on this!)

However, my PP software, Capture Pro One 10, does not currently have a Lens Correction Profile for the PL. I contacted Phase One staff, who sent me this message:

I have checked the lens profile we have available in the last update (10.2) and we do not support that lens. I´m afraid at the moment we have no information of when this lens will be supported.

Ouch!

I was able to take pictures with the two lenses in a camera store. Here are two out-of-the-camera JPEGs, first the Oly, then the PL. All pictures are downsized to 1600 pixels on the longest side (sorry). Shot with an Oly OM-D E-M1/mk2.

1. Olympus 7-14 f/2.8 OOC JPEG

2. PL 8-16 f/2.8-4 OOC JPEG

Now, here are the raw files, first the Oly, then the PL.

3. Oly 7-14 f/2.8

4. PL 8-16 f/2.8-4

As you can see, the PL raw file is not being corrected for distortion in Capture Pro One 10. I found that applying the correction file for the Oly 7-14 does not do a bad job (at first glance), but it does not seem like an optimal solution.

Just for the heck of it, I downloaded Lightroom and found that it was able to handle the PL fine. But I am not particularly excited about maintaining both Capture Pro One and LR!

Any and all comments/suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Best regards,

Jeff

jeffpix's gear list:jeffpix's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow