When it comes to cameras/lenses, lighter, not smaller, is better.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sportyaccordy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,171
When it comes to cameras/lenses, lighter, not smaller, is better.

Hear me out. The logical conclusion of the "smaller is better" line of thinking is this:

Nothing but a mount and a battery, with no regard for controls or ergonomics. Given that this was a failure we can all agree to some degree that controls, ergonomics and battery life matter to the majority of ILC users.

Obviously at the other end is something like a 1DX, which isn't hindered as much by its heft/size as much as its price, as people buy battery grips for cheaper cameras. For me personally, something like a D5500 or D7xxx is about the perfect size, and for the body I can deal with something around 600-700g.

So what should the solution be? Well, you look at the D750, it has some carbon fiber composite, but it's mostly magnesium alloy. CFC and MA are about the same density, but CFC is nearly 5x as strong (at least according to Wikipedia). I think that strength gap is even higher as CFC has made more advances than magnesium alloy over the past few years. So a full CFC shell could save a lot of weight on the body. I don't know that it's been done yet. I know alloy bodies are deemed to be more luxurious or high end, but functionally what's the advantage? The only places that should be metal are the mount IMO.

Lens wise it's tougher because glass is glass. I'm sure if plastic or liquid elements were commercially feasible for large sensors we would have seen them. So that comes down to a matter of choice.

But looking at my A7II, I would take a little more size for a bigger battery and a longer grip, even if it meant having a fully plastic body. I'd much rather that than something trending toward the direction of the QX1

So is it SIZE or WEIGHT for you?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7 II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Rokinon AF 50mm F1.4 FE +2 more
Nikon D5500 Nikon D750 Sony QX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow