Why I shoot with Pentax and the K3II....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
absquatulate Senior Member • Posts: 7,658
Why I shoot with Pentax and the K3II....

Lets be honest, Pentax has one real flaw compared to the competition, and that's its less than optimum AF. It's competent but not a match for Canon or Nikon's better cameras. However, no brand is perfect, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, so why shoot with Pentax? For me personally there is one major thing that Pentax does better than anyone else, and that's build quality/weathersealing. So ok, some other brands offer varying standards in this area, but my camera needs to be particularly competent when taking bangs and knocks and being subject to the vagaries of the British weather. I need to have complete confidence that my camera is up to the job and not going to let me down. I don't want to trek up to peaks in driving wind and rain and find out that when the weather breaks my camera is failing. I also need to carry my camera close to hand on the outside of my bergen, ready to catch that fleeting moment when the light breaks when walking at height, where light comes and goes in mere seconds. I use a peak design quick release clip which is a great piece of kit which means I can quickly release my camera in order to get a shot when the moment comes.

I can safely say the K3II ticks this box with aplomb. I have trekked through the driving rain with my camera and lens completely exposed and can confirm that you should have no worries on this score. The K3II and 20-40mm are ideal for this job, light enough to carry in this fashion and sturdy enough to cope with everything I have thrown at it in this scenario, including the inevitable occasional bump on rock faces during climbs. My K3II has coped with it all and fills me with confidence it will work when I need it to. The other bonus is that I can carry the 15mm F4 and 70mm F2.4 in my pockets for wider or longer shots when I need them. This is the perfect trekking kit for photography for me. The AF will occasionally struggle in low contrast situations, and sometimes misses, but I generally know when this likely to happen, so I can work around it. So yes, Pentax is not perfect, but for this kind of work is as good as it gets for me, no other brand beats it in this respect in my experience. Personally I'd rather focus on what Pentax is good at than agonise over where it could be better, especially as I can't change that and I can manage as it is anyway. Reliability and robustness is what is key to me in harsh environments, and my K3II delivers superbly on that score. Here are a few from my latest excursions, the light could have been better at times but you have to take what you can get. All taken with either the 20-40mm or 15mm F4 ( Mk1).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow