Autofocus differences between the 5D III and 5D IV

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marc dbr
Marc dbr Regular Member • Posts: 245
Autofocus differences between the 5D III and 5D IV

Hello everybody,

I might upgrade from my 5D III to a 5D IV (yes I still believe in Canon - or rather in their lens selection 😂) but I was wondering what kind of differences I could expect with that new AF system. There was not a lot of talk about the actual AF system itself, more about the Dual Pixel integration. As a person who still shoots the old fashioned way, through the viewfinder, I am a lot more interested in the AF system itself. Except from the broader coverage of the AF points, if I've got it right, there are a few other changes, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

-Autofocusing at F8 with all AF points,

-All AF points capable of autofocusing at -3EV.

Also I read there is a Digic6 + processor dedicated for autofocus, how does this impact your shooting? Does it improve the performance of tracking in AI servo, or does it have implications on autofocus in single AF too, in order to get snapper and more accurate focus?

Thank you for providing any extra information on the new AF system, also what I could expect from it compared to what I am used to on a 5D III.

Marc

Marc dbr's gear list:Marc dbr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow