Printing Display Boards at high DPI

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
over exposed seahorse Regular Member • Posts: 208
Printing Display Boards at high DPI

Hi there,

I'm trying to create the design for one of those pull up display boards using some of my photos as part of the background. I'm new to printing big, so I'm sort of confused how the DPI thing works with a board measuring 80x200 cm.

I want a photo to go across the width of the board at the top and bottom, and the board manufacturers requires the image I send in in PDF format to be 300 dpi. I'm using gimp (Free photoshop) to create the image.

Now obviously I dont have any photos that are 300 dpi when printed at 80cm wide - I would need an image with approx 9600 pixels on the long edge. So how do I make my photos with 6000 or fewer pixels on the longest side big enough? I know that resampling up is bad, as you are trying to create new pixels that didnt exist, and if I resize my image to fit, it will no longer be 300 ppi.....

Does this matter? Can my images on the background be less that 300 dpi as long as I save the entire image at 300 dpi? Kinda got myself confused now....

over exposed seahorse's gear list:over exposed seahorse's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow