3 quick notes on using D850 Focus Shifting

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Veteran Member • Posts: 8,057
3 quick notes on using D850 Focus Shifting

1) while I haven't shot any true Macro (I.e. 1:1 or greater subject:sensor magnification) work with it yet, what I am seeing is that even at the smallest step increment  it is easy for me to greatly overestimate the number of shots I need.

I am not sure if it is possible but I'd like to see a calculator that takes into consideration: the lens, the aperture, and the end point as well as the start point.

2) Beyond simple depth of field, why use focus shifting for non-macro work?

Two reasons that I have found

a) resolution. I don't care how good your lens is, it is at it's optical best 1 to 2 stops down from wide open than it is at f/16, f/22, or f/32.

b) shooting at larger apertures renders a more pleasing blur ("bokeh") out of the space in front of and behind your in-focus subject area

3) what is working best for me is focusing very carefully on the start point using a magnified live mode, and highspeed frame advance with delay between frames set to zero, Exposure smoothing set to OFF, and Silent Photography set to ON.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
And follow me on instagram at therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow