Need Recommendations: Battery Grip for Canon 70D

Started Sep 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
aquavideo Regular Member • Posts: 386
Re: Need Recommendations: Battery Grip for Canon 70D

Adboom73 wrote:

I’ve been using my Canon 70D for years and its doing fine. The battery indicator gives me a RED – time to replace both batteries.

I’m considering a battery grip. I can’t afford a Canon brand and two new batteries.

· Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party grips?

· Any you suggest I stay clear of?

· What about batteries?

· I’ve seen a few kits that include grip and two batteries. Any experience?

Thanks all.

I bought a grip with two batteries for my t3i years ago. Still works and I had no problems. It was some chinese knockoff (can't remember the brand, sorry) but it was top of the list on Amazon, it cost $50 and so I just went for it. With two batteries inserted I can shoot all day and still have juice left. One thing I noticed: If I left batteries in the grip for a few days they would drain. No big deal though. And years later the batteries are still good.

The problem with the 3rd party knockoffs is the same as always: Canon don't license their stuff to anyone so it's gotta be reverse engineered. And quality control is not really top of the line so you might get a bad one.

Considering that the original is close to $200 you might as well get one. Just make sure the seller will let you return it if it's a bad apple.

aquavideo's gear list:aquavideo's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow