EM1.1 and EM1.II: bad IBIS at WA?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
luisflorit
luisflorit Veteran Member • Posts: 7,991
EM1.1 and EM1.II: bad IBIS at WA?

I'm having a strange behavior with my EM1.2 IBIS and the Laowa 7.5mm, or actually wide angles in general.

I don't have particularly steady hands, but I am not so bad either. With the 100-300 at 300mm, 1/125s was my default for birding with the EM1.1 to get sharp results without being careful. With the 300F4, I have no problems at 1/100s, 1/80s, or even 1/60s if I am a bit careful. I even get sharp frames at 1/15s when using bursts.

If I try the pany 20mm with the EM1.II, I can shoot at 1/5s or so easily. I see the IBIS working in the screen.

Then I try the Laowa after telling the EM1.II I'm using 7.5mm. I cannot get below 1/5s , and even those are not really consistently sharp. Although I don't see IBIS working in the screen, if I turn IBIS off, 1/5s is pretty bad, so IBIS is working with the Laowa.

According to the theory, without any stabilization I should be able to shoot at 1/15s with the Laowa. So I cannot get 2 stop stabilization with IBIS!? Wasn't it 5.5 stops?? Please don't tell me it was just marketing!

To be fair, I was never able to get good stabilization with the Oly 12-40mm. With the EM1.1 at 12mm, I need to shoot at 1/15s to get consistently sharp results: that's only 1 stop...

I never understood why people say that IBIS is less effective at long focal lengths. As you see, my experience is dramatically opposite.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

L.

-- hide signature --
 luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 Olympus E-M1 +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow