Help - I'm about to stop on the day I started

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lynnelanne Regular Member • Posts: 115
Help - I'm about to stop on the day I started

Hi, I need help!

I'm an average sort of photographer; they type where everyone I know says I'm a 'great' photographer but none of them know anything about photography. I do, at least, understand the basics:  ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speeds, Depth of Field etc. And I have a fabulous portfolio of travel shots - at least they are dear to me.  I travel a lot and so I have lots of opportunity to get really interesting, colourful shots.  So that's me, can take a respectable snap like millions of others out there.

Last week, after being inspired by some stunning puffin photos on Flickr, I splurged on a HUGE lens - Fuji XF 100-400.

You will die laughing but anyway here is a summary of my first day out with that lens:

1:  I can barely lift it.  All the reviews on line say you can hand hold it, but I think I need to go to the gym to even hold it up for more than a couple of minutes.  Not kidding, I am 59 and not that fit.

2:  I took 109 photos, and I just reviewed them and deleted them all - none in focus, half a duck, a bird's backside, lots of photos of reeds where the bird was a minute beforehand.

3: Seriously - I am getting over the flu and it was our first hot day here.  So after an hour in the sun I started to fee l faint so I laid down in the shade under a tree.  I couldn't get up, the world was spinning. The swan I had been trying to photograph got OUT OF THE WATER and wandered up and attacked me.  This is no BS.

This was not a stellar start.

Will it get better?

Any tips for good wildlife photography courses?  I really like Ben Long on Lynda.com but I don't think he does one specifically on this sort of hassle.

Cheers

Lyn

Lynnelanne's gear list:Lynnelanne's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow