35mm f2.0 focusing noise?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aloli Regular Member • Posts: 190
35mm f2.0 focusing noise?

Just got a copy of the 35mm f2.0. Optically it's quite impressive. Sharp wide open and nice bokeh rendering.

What strikes me as odd is a grinding/sandy noise when focusing. It's not very loud, like with an old Canon lens, but it's definitely audible. Given that all the reviews mentioned that its very quiet to focus, I was taken aback when I half pressed the shutter for the first time. I can even feel the vibrations of the motor through the body (something that people have mentioned experiencing with the f1.4 version).

Also, I find that autofocus hunts a lot when focusing close to the minimum focusing distance, or in random circumstances despite normal indoor lighting and good contrast under the focus point. It's snappy half the time and it hunts the other half.

I got mine second hand but it's still under warranty, you guys think it's worth sending in for a check? I hear Fuji service is slow in my country though might have to go without my lens for a month or two.

aloli's gear list:aloli's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow