Leica vs Sony

Started Sep 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 1,562
Leica vs Sony

I was captfied by all the cult like virtue bestowed on Leica and was seriously contemplating a Leica APO Macro elmarit 100mm 2.8 lens for my a7rII and A9 because I had to find out what all this Leica look and splendor is about.

I went on Fred Miranda and many other sites and looked at hundreds of photos and found them to look drab, underexposed and like someone moved the saturation and exposure sliders to the left. And these were the picks of the litter being shared.

I thought maybe I just don't know what is what and frankly I guess I don't but other than some sharp images which were in the minority I would not put one of those photos in my gallery. Obviously the Leica look is a totally different look that some people like I guess but not me.

The camera and lenses have to be superb or they have that reputation but could it be the users have a opposite preference for no pop and are not fond of vibrant colors.

I know this probably is not the right forum I am pretty bold and not worried to much about what others think but I would be afraid to post this on the Leica forum.

Out of curiosity can someone explain what the Leica look is or did I just land on a dozen galleries where they all preferred a very drab washed out look?

I would love to have a Leica but I am afraid that maybe Sony really has moved the needle farther than many realize but I sure did not see but a small handful of photos that were impressive out of five hundred.

-- hide signature --

Please do not put words in my mouth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +16 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow