Unrealistic Expectations

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
myshkin Senior Member • Posts: 1,228
Unrealistic Expectations

I am seeing a lot of expectations that seem far from reality. Maybe it is partly Nikons fault for the way they handled the release, or maybe just the wave of hype that came with the D850s announcement.

I think people need to realize a couple things like where the camera industry is and what type of improvements are possible. We are currently at such a high level with the current sensor tech that new releases will not take huge leaps. Until a new sensor tech comes out it is likely the improvements in IQ will be small. This is not due to the companies lack of effort or R&D, but the cameras we are already using are so good.

The fact that the D850 doesn't blow away the D810 or D750 should not surprise, it should have been expected. These cameras are excellent and already were at the top of the industry when it came to IQ.

I am happy I had proper expectations. I am very happy with the D850 and it turned out to be almost everything I wanted.

I had hoped for the same low ISO as the D810 and slightly better high ISO. I feel I got a little better low ISO and slightly better High ISO. I got this while adding 10MP. THis is an accomplishment even if people can't see that. TO get D5 high ISO in a 46MP is extremely challenging and it seems like people overlook this factor.

I got D5 AF and 7 FPS in a regular DSLR body, I got slight improvement in IQ, metering, WB etc, I got a bigger Buffer all while shooting 46MP.

This same type of disappointment in the minority will come soon to sony as well.  I see sony people already drooling over the new A7riii and stating it will leave the D850 in the dust. What they are ignoring is the Sony is already near the top for IQ just like Nikon and if they add MP it will turn out to be very little gain. Now sony can improve function, build, UI etc. but Sony folks should start to taper their expectations for IQ.

The only current FF company that can really wow their customer base is Canon and this is because they have slipped behind with DR. If the new FF canon equals or beats the D850 in DR the Canon folks will go nuts, but the truth is that was only possible because they failed to deliver for some years now. Should we wish Nikon sucked with IQ the past 4 years so we could be wowed?

Nikon D5 Nikon D750 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow