LX10/TZ100 combo for lightweight high quality kit for overland travel/candid street.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gene J. Paull Senior Member • Posts: 1,723
LX10/TZ100 combo for lightweight high quality kit for overland travel/candid street.

Hi all,

Was going to post this in the compact camera thread below, but didn't want to hijack that discussion.

AARRGH! Ever since the demise of film, I've been searching for something small discrete, with good image quality for candid street - I print at 11 x 14 or so, and do exhibit in local galleries. Used to use Nikon FE2, 2 primes (35 and 85) and Provia slide film. Great subject isolation.

Basically my question is - is the TZ100 up to this in the 85-135 35 mm equiv. range. I've got lots of cameras - Nikon dSLR's and all the lenses. Big, heavy, obvious, and not fun for airline travel, especially when the plane gets in late and the connecting flight leaves in 15 minutes!

So - have LX7 which served me well, but sometimes lacking in the "bite" compared to the Nikon FX. How 'bout traveling with the LX10 and TZ100 combo? I go to Guatemala a lot - volcanic landscape and very traditional Mayan villages. Great color and ethnographic images. The Nikon is fine when climbing volcanoes, but pretty obvious in the villages and markets.

The compact camera thread talks about the i-phone whatever, but somehow don't want to go this route even though I have the ancient i-phone 5. Also have GX1 and 20 mm, but somehow preferred the LX7 when taking both.

Thanks for inputs and suggestions.

Gene J. Paull's gear list:Gene J. Paull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow