Remote shooting with A7RII - help?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ballfamilyreserve New Member • Posts: 5
Remote shooting with A7RII - help?

Hi everyone, I need some help. I use my A7RII not only for photography, but to record music cover videos like you see in the screenshot below. Right now, I use Capture One live view tethered to a laptop next to me so I can frame the shot and focus. However a BIG issue is I cannot hit the record button! I have to get up to initiate a recording and then I've lost focus!! In addition, it's just buggy and awkward to use anyways. I’ve tried using the playmemories app, which allows you to hit the record button, but it disables picture profiles so I can not shoot in SLOG2. Is there another alternative? I need to:

See myself on an external screen somehow (so I can frame the shot on myself)
Remote control exposure and ISO
Autofocus if the lens I’m using supports it
Press the movie record button while in MOVIE mode (important to be in movie mode and hit the MOVIE button)

I don't really care how those are accomplished, as long as it works. I looked into the ATOMOS products but they're far too expensive to justify. But I am trying to be open-minded here.

Suggestions??

As you can see, I need the ability to frame a shot while sitting down with my guitar to make sure I get the composition I want. Then initiate the recording. It's a lot more of a PITA than you think to have to get up and start/stop recordings when the composition is bad or I goof the video up or whatever. Gah!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow