Is micro four thirds on its way out?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Ab Latchin Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Re: MFT is just fine

dennis tennis wrote:

Ab Latchin wrote:

One interesting point is that while all the lenses work reasonably well, the purpose of putting a larger DSLR lens on a smaller body defeats the purpose of downsizing. In other words what real benefit is there if the body is the only element that gets smaller?

Within the m43rds ecosystem we have a wide variety of lenses and bodies from very small to relatively small.

DSLR lenses are not larger than mirrorless lenses if they are the same focal length, aperture and quality. Sony FF constant f2.8 zooms E mount are the same as their A mounts and are the same as Canon and Nikons.

That is my point. M43rds offers a real advantage in terms of system size because they are not FF or APSC options. So while a Sony 70-200 f4 allows for a 1 stop advantage over the 40-150, it is heavier, has a significantly shorter range (on FE bodies) and one could argue maintains only1 stop of the potential sensor size advantage. Of course thise size advantage opens up further with Panasonics 35-100 f2.8

It is a fallacy to think that just because you do mirrorless, the ONLY reason you went mirrorless is because you want small. This is the marketing brain washing that Oly and Pany had to do to create a separation between DSLR and their mFT. You want small lenses? Get slower lenses and/or smaller sensor.

No, you might want mirrorless because it CAN be small. This is nohing to do with marketing. When I travel I bring the 9-18, 40-150 (variable olympus lenses) the 25mm f1.4 and 15mm f1.7 along with my un-gripped EM5.2. The massive size and weight saving is real because in the real world there is almost nothing that competes.

when people say the "advantage" of mirrorless is that it is smaller, I know they drank the Kool-Aid. Mirrorless removes the mirror. Everything else is physics and technology and nobody is beating physics and nobody is making innovation that the other brands are equalling or have access to. I would argue that what saved mFT (I bought EP1 and G1 fro the get go) is Sony. With Sony sensor, without PDAF on sensor, mFT would be lagging.

And for Canon lenses, they don't work reasonably well, they work just as well, and for Video even better on Canon mirrorless than on Canon DSLR. Something, neither Oly or Pany has been able to achieve with their compatibility with their "legacy" DSLR lenses (of which I have many)

Again, if you want to buy a small mirorless body and use your Canon lenses, go right ahead. No matter their performance, they are a stop gap because you don't buy the small Canon mirrorless body only to bring your Canon f2.8 zooms with you.

-- hide signature --

refugee from the Nikon Df dial and grip police

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
sbu
sbu
sbu
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow