Prime to replace a zoom

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
drk73 Regular Member • Posts: 164
Prime to replace a zoom

Currently I use an 18-35g f/3.5-4.5 for wide angle, which I use for landscape, buildings, outdoor walk-around, and some interior - it's almost certainly my most used lens.

But - it seems like it suffers a bit if I'm angled anywhere the sun and can flare a bit. I'd also like a wider aperture to do more interior shooting.

I looked at a lot of the shots I've taken over the past couple years with the lens and it breaks down this way:

18mm - 25.0%

20mm - 10.9%

24mm - 20.3%

28mm - 7.8%

35mm - 32.8%

If there were any gaps (like 23mm) I rounded them to the nearest of the above.

So looking at this, I shoot at the extremes 57.8% of the time - I was actually surprised by how often I use it at 35mm

I use it most often at 24mm and up (about 61% of the shots taken).

So - I've been considering an f/1.8 prime to supplement this lens with (or possibly replace it).

I've been leaning towards a 24mm, and then use the 18-35 for when I want ultra-wide, but I know a lot of people use the 20mm - which I could then crop down a bit to reproduce what I'd get with a 24mm...but when I saw how often I shoot at 35mm I realized how important that focal length is to me...

So for people that rely more on primes than zooms, especially for landscape, low light to bright light, building exteriors (and some interiors).

-- hide signature --
 drk73's gear list:drk73's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow