D850 and focus accuracy

Started Sep 21, 2017 | Discussions thread
sharkcookie
OP sharkcookie Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: D850 and focus accuracy

I have that software (forgot the name)  that would do it semi automatic for you with a custom target. I had limited success with it but I think it wasn't the software's fault, but just the inconsistency of the whole AF system when paired with different lenses.

One of my early D800 bodies required a different AF adjustment based on the light source! I know it sounds crazy and I tested it over and over.

Now with the D850 I just used a simple high contrast target and focused on it with different lenses, using different focus points. Not only was it spot on, but also very consistent when I re-did the test. Honestly that is a big step forward IMHO. As I said before, consistent and accurate focus has been an issue to some degree with every camera I have owned up to now (from various brands, not just Nikon). As far as I can tell right now, the D850 is a major step forward and finally solved that issue.

There are a few other things about the AF that I consider a big improvement and I can see a higher success rate already. I have to do more tests and I will post once I have confirmation. I did my first real client session with the new camera yesterday and I'm super happy with the results. Just overall an excellent camera. Well worth the upgrade!

-- hide signature --

@sharkcookie

sharkcookie's gear list:sharkcookie's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a6000 Nikon D850 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow