Anyone still using D600 and happy? (pics)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Varuas Regular Member • Posts: 263
Anyone still using D600 and happy? (pics)

I bought D600 in 2012, just a day after it was released. I upgraded from my old D90. D600 has been my only DSLR, which I use almost exclusively for stills.

It has been back to Nikon for sensor cleaning (oil spots) and the cracked top plate (dropped it on the carpet with my 70-200mm). But it still clicks and pictures are great. The AF is slow and often inaccurate; the hit rate on action subjects is around 50% with my 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 1.4 primes give may be around 30% perfectly sharp shots.

Since I shoot almost all my pictures at max apertures (f/1.4, f/1.8, and f/2.8), I make up for out of focus shots it by taking twice or thrice as many pictures. I have missed some shots of my kids when they are moving/running around, which I cannot lie is frustrating at times, but I eventually get good shots in the same session.

I just do not want to spend another $2-3k when I do not think I need them. If I upgrade, I will have much better AF with either D8x0 or D750. But, I just do not want to pull the trigger and spend multiple thousands of dollars on a body.

In the meantime, I have bought lenses, speedlights, softboxes, light stands, and even multiple action-cams for 4k stereo video. They all combine to around $3k, roughly what I would spend on a D8x0.

Perhaps I am missing out on the latest and the greatest bodies, especially in AF performance, but I just do not feel the need to do so -- yet.

Anyone feel the same way as me?

@200mm f/2.8

@200mm f/2.8

50mm f/1.8

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NNL
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow