Aperture lever (mis-)calibration

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611
Aperture lever (mis-)calibration

I have noticed that my D850 aperture lever is not closing down lenses exactly as it should. I have noticed ever so small differences  between bodies in the past but assumed that as they are mechanical small differences were inevitable.

It is difficult to say exactly as there are small differences even between Nikon G primes. There is variance with bodies and lenses.

In the case of my D850, there is no difference between f/1.4 and f/1.6. It starts closing the lens somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 stop stopped down from wide open.

I would caution against any tests between bodies for high ISO using G lenses as there is no way that I am aware of to know exactly what aperture and hence what exposure you are at with a G lens other than wide open. It should be done with a lens with an aperture ring or an E lens.

Has anyone noticed this issue and should I get Nikon to adjust it? Or is this all part and parcel of G lenses? I don't think the 1/3 stop miscalibration will affect shooting - it's not like the 1 stop miscalibration I have had with a Tamron lens before.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow