First D850 Focus Shifting Test

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nextlife
nextlife Forum Member • Posts: 95
First D850 Focus Shifting Test

Got my D850 today and did a quick and dirty focus shift test using my very cooperative "model".  Ran a quick couple of shots at focus step widths of 1, 5, and 10, decided that 5 would probably be best for my use and so ran a 40 shot sequence at focus width 5.  These were shot at f8 so the depth of field was very shallow as can be seen in the first photo in the sequence (initial focus on tip of nose):

And then the final stacked product, just done quickly in Photoshop:

I realize this is not perfect (I missed a couple of spots and did not try to adequately expose all parts, just used what light was in my kitchen) but I am completely encouraged by the result after a first quick and dirty attempt.  I have little doubt that with more practice and attention to detail, and more careful stacking with more sophisticated stacking software, that this is going to be a very helpful tool!

nextlife's gear list:nextlife's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +8 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow