X-E2 - limited dynamic range?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Father Bouvier
Father Bouvier Contributing Member • Posts: 767
Re: X-E2 - limited dynamic range?

mkdarkroom wrote:

nixda wrote:

First of all, yes, the DR of every camera is limited

Bill Claff's analysis shows that the DR is practically the same for the last two X-Trans APS-C sensor generations, and it is roughly what one would expect from a current-generation APS-C sensor in general. It then comes down to how the scene DR is mapped to the output JPEG. Doug gave you some pointers as to how to possibly improve your outcomes.

It's interesting that X-T1 seems to have lower DR according to this website. I have both X-E2 and X-T1 and I would say in real-life work I don't see much difference between these two, perhaps X-T1 has slight edge, even.

Firstly, they are metering differently, you need to compare them at the same exposure. Secondly, are you comparing jpegs? If so, that's no way to judge the dynamic range. Dynamic range has been compressed to 8 bits. What you are looking is simply a tone curve chosen by manufacturer. Fuji has been tweaking the tone curve with every new generation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow