Radio triggers for Sony's multi-interface shoe

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Sandman
Mike Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 430
Radio triggers for Sony's multi-interface shoe

Adorama has been offering its TTL-capable FlashPoint R2 transmitter/receiver set for at least since the beginning of 2017, but only the transmitter was available with a multi-interface shoe. Now the receiver is FINALLY available (9/20/17). The units are smaller than a pack of playing cards, and they seem far more robust than the inexpensive manual Yuonguo radio triggers I used for my Canon DSLR. They take two AA batteries, so they should hold up well for long shooting sessions.

And they work! I tried triggering a Sony HVL-F43M flash from about 70 feet/20 meters away, with no line of sight, and the flash fired perfectly. The TTL feature works well in A and S modes, and the flash “zoomed” in response to my changing the focal length on a 24-70mm zoom. They can be switched to use any one of 9 channels, and they can handle three flash groups, each with its own power output setting. The transmitter will pair with Adorama’s private label radio-enabled flash devices built by Godox, including both speedlights and studio lights. I don’t know if they pair with Godox-brand units.

The instructions are pretty basic but adequate. The set can be used as a wireless trigger, but it appears you need a cable with micro-USB connectors on both ends, which is not supplied. (I’d be happy to be corrected on this point.)

Finding decent, inexpensive radio triggers for the multi-interface shoe was difficult for a long time. These triggers don’t have all the features of Pocket Wizards, but they’re under $80, seem reliable, and are useful for basic off-camera wireless radio control of one or more compatible flashes, even without line of sight.

-- hide signature --

Mike Sandman

Mike Sandman's gear list:Mike Sandman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7R II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow