80-400 AFS VR G, my test result

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 3,134
80-400 AFS VR G, my test result

I had the older version and was quite happy with it. But honestly, the VR was rudimentary and the AF was a bit slow with my D3 and D800, causing some missing opportunities. But I was not a believer of the AFS which Nikon had some serious problem with their earlier series (particularly the 28-70mm AFS f/2.8).

The performance of my Sigma 150-600 Sport convinced me that I need to move on and embrace the SWM (or ultrasonic as other call it) technology. I bought two (one for me and the other for my shooting buddy) of the 80-400 G lenses.

I tested the sharpness and am very happy with them. I am also very impressed by the speed of focus with the AFS. It is quite quiet (am going test it with video and see it stand out).

I also like that the G lens has a shorter close-up distance range than the predecessor (4.5 ft instead of 5.5-6 ft). The lens barrel, however, is longer than the older brother. I hope I can sneak it into Citi Field Stadium, which has a pretty straight rule on professional grade cameras.

When I read the reviews and specs claiming 4 f-stop VR (the older brother was good at 1 f-stop), I did my mental calculation to arrive at 1/25th handheld, I wasn't convinced. So, other than the other tests I've done, I shot a few with handheld at 400mm with max. f/stop. The results are quite good. Here are the samples. These are unprocessed (no sharpening, no PP other than compiled for display).

Tell me what you think.

Uncropped image. f/5.6, 400mm, handheld, 1/60th of a second

Close-up 1:1 version of above. There is no evidence of hand movement.

Uncropped image. f/5.6, 400mm, handheld, 1/30th of a second

Close-up 1:1 version of above. There is no evidence of hand movement.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S +2 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow