anyone else sell their Tamron 15-30 for the Nikon 20mm 1.8?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
draacor
draacor Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
anyone else sell their Tamron 15-30 for the Nikon 20mm 1.8?

So let me get this out of the way first. I LOVED the output of my tamron 15-30. It just produced some stellar photos. Like the ones here:

However i have came to the conclusion a couple of things that bother me. One its heavy and bulky. This is not such a big deal really but it is by far noticeable and I have caught myself not bringing it for this exact reason. Second, because of the bulbous front element my existing filters would not work. If i wanted to use a filter i would resort to using my 24-70 as my landscape lens.

So basically I decided that the extra 5mm on the wide end was not enough for me to warrant keeping this lens. So i sold it and bought the 20mm 1.8. I figured that because I am getting more and more into milky way and night shots, that a faster prime would be more useful to me.

I also find that its very hard to effectively use UWA lenses. The conditions need to be almost perfect, something interesting in the foreground to offset the rest of the image, to look good. I find that the bigger impact landscape shots are multiple shots that are stitched together, which i can achieve with the 20mm.

Anyone have thoughts on this move?

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow