Remembrance

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,391
Remembrance

On Sunday evening, after a period of poor health, my 86 year-old father died.

People used to comment on how alike we looked, and in trying to write something for the funeral, and one of threads to it is how much of me comes from Dad. He painted, drew and enjoyed photography - my image making is entirely photographic, and has been almost 100% Pentax, and that too was down to Dad.
When I was in my last year of School my best friend had an Olympus OM1. I'd had an instamatic, and wanted an SLR. When Christmas 1983 arrived I got my wish, but not as I expected, an Olympus but a Pentax - an MG with 50mm f/2 lens. When the MG's aperture-priority only exposure system became a limitation, Mum and Dad were going on a trip to Singapore and returned with a Black ME-Super: I still have both cameras - the latter was my most cherished possession for more than a decade. A couple of years ago I asked Dad why he picked Pentax, because being a photographer, and in particular a Pentax photographer is part of who I am. He asked someone who told him the Pentax kit lens (the 50 f/2 on the entry level cameras - the more expensive came with f/1.7  or f/1.4) was better than the equivalents from other makers, and that swung his choice.

A chance decision really, but one of many I'm pleased he made.

RIP Dad, from your son, the Pentaxian.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow