FZ200 BIF - looking for suggestions for improvement

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,308
FZ200 BIF - looking for suggestions for improvement

I saw some gulls circling around and after having themdart in and out of my viewfinder I decided to get some long-needed practice with my rarely-used Red Dot Sight (RDS). It certainly helped with getting the birds into the frame, but I'm not real happy with the OOC JPEG results. I welcome any suggestions you might have to improve my results using the FZ200. (I know I'd likely get better with a bigger sensor or longer lens, so don't bother with suggestions for a new kit. I'd like to improve what I've already got, if possible.)

Here's an example that might be the best I can do for this particular subject size:

Another. Note smeared details.

As the birds get closer, however, I don't really see much improvement:

Note that these are the "better" shots from >200 taken during my practice session. Here are the camera settings:

Photo Style: STANDARD with Contrast=0, Sharpness=-1, Saturation=0, NR=-2

Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Picture Size: 12 MP

Quality: Fine JPEG

ISO Limit: 1600

AF Mode: One area, enlarged by two steps from default

AF Style: AFS

i.Dynamic/i.Res: OFF

Stabilizer: ON

Focal Length: 108mm (600mm EFL)

Aperture: f/4

Exposure Mode: Aperture priority

EV Compensation: -2/3

Shutter Speeds: 1/800-1/1300

Burst Mode: 5.5 AF

The camera strap was around my neck and the camera held taught at arms' length while tracking the birds with the RDS.

So, what - if anything - can be done to improve these? Better [panning] technique? Different focus mode/type? Different/no burst mode? Different JPEG settings? Get even closer? Etc. Would RAW make a significant difference?

And, finally, a true photo bomb!:

Incoming!

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow