Is micro four thirds on its way out?

Started Sep 21, 2017 | Discussions thread
dennis tennis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,783
Re: when Olympus and Pany no longer makes ILC

Astrotripper wrote:

Mikespirito wrote:

But before I invest in more lenses, is micro 4/3 on its way out?

You know, people have been claiming it is for many many years now. Pretty much with every new Micro 4/3 camera release, you would see some vocal people claiming MFT is dead or will soon be and so on.

In the meantime, since the first mirrorless camera (Panasonic G1) was released, we saw:

• Samsung getting on the mirrorless camera bandwagon, failing miserably and completely pulling out of the camera market
  • Nikon introducing their mirrorless system that went nowhere and ended up dying
  • Pentax giving it a go and ending up filling a tiny niche mostly on Asian markets, you cannot even get their mirrorless stuff in most countries
  • Sony entering the race with a very promising E system, which stagnated for the past 2 years and ended up being a second class citizen in Sony's lineup, exactly like APS-C DSLR systems that came before it (Nikon DX and Canon EF-S)

As of now, there are only three "serious" mirrorless systems: Micro 4/3, Fuji X and Sony FE. Neither of those will go away anytime soon.

In the future, EOS M from Canon will probably join them.

I don't see another manufacturer making mFT aside from these two.  Maybe a Chinese company like YI will continue but I don't think YI will take over the mantle with Oly/Panny  stops.  companies will tell everyone, they are "fully committed, until one day, they're not or just stop saying anything (a la Samsung).

-- hide signature --

refugee from the Nikon Df dial and grip police

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
sbu
sbu
sbu
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow