Portrait background in a box

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,270
Portrait background in a box

I'd like to share with you my latest DIY project. I have shown a more primitive solution in an earlier thread, but this summer I decided to refine the concept. The objectives for the new project were that I wanted large, but not too large to handle portrait backgrounds. I wanted a one-box solution where everything I need for erecting a background was contained in the box.

The actual backgrounds are three IKEA Tupplur roller blinds which come in white, gray and black. Each blind is 180cm wide and 195cm long, enough for a 3/4 portrait of two to three people. The new version of these blinds is spring activated in contrast to the old version which was driven by a chain. This means that instead of pulling the blinds down, you can now pull them up from the box. The weight of two rolled up blinds in the bottom makes the contraption more stable and easier to set up as the stands that carry the top of the blind can be light.

The stands have been erected and the clips that fix the top of the blinds to the stands are being mounted

Here I'm mounting the top of the blind to the stand

And here the well equipped photographer poses in front of his work

The whole setup procedure takes less than three minutes and the weight of the box is less than 11kg. The box is 185*7*19cm and will fit in the back of a family sedan if you fold down the back seat.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow