Nikon Adapter: my best invested 20€ since quite some time...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fft2000 Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Nikon Adapter: my best invested 20€ since quite some time...

Back then, in analog times, I had lots of fun with my Exa 1A. When I wanted to get more serious I went with Nikon as I had Nikon photographers in the family and could use their lenses. As I needed a macro lens and nobody had one I invested in the AF Micro Nikkor f2.8 D - it really served me well, as well as the cheap Tokina AT-X 300mm F4. Then came digital and I didn't really have the money to invest and stopped taking photos. Then got an Olympus C5050Z and finally (in 2008) the Oly E520. As it got too old and I needed a new camera in 2017 the decision went for mFT as FT just was enough. Never really considered anything DSLR but only mirrorless.

Three days ago I just wanted to know if the old Nikon gear would still be OK with high resolution digital cameras and ordered an Adapter for just 20€. First mounted the 4.0 300mm f4 AT-X Tokina. MF works but not really smooth (as I rememberd correctly), but results are not really bad, even with 16MP mFT sensor:

Wide open 100% - not bad for something that can be bought for about 200€!

Now attached the macro. I did A LOT of macros back in the old days and really missed it, even though I have the Oly 70-300 FT zoom that does 1:2. Attached the Nikon Macro and immeditely felt the love and good memories... (you know those feelings?) Went out for some snaps (hand held, IBIS works nice), got them on the computer - and was shocked how much detail they show, even wide open! Love the background separation and just everything about this lens...

stopped down to f11 or f16 AFAIR

Also attached the really ancient MF 24mm f2.8 which did an amazing job for landscapes. At ~50mm FF-equ. it's nice for portraits.

And again, didn't expect this IQ.

Downside: Will invest another 20€ for the same adapter to revive the old OM lenses. And as Leica R REALLY seems to be dead and gear is cheap (in contrast to Leica M) I see myself buying an R-adapter and some good old Leica glass (+ one of those never-used collectors R8's...)  - ya never know

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow