L lenses buying choice

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marc dbr
Marc dbr Regular Member • Posts: 245
L lenses buying choice

Hi all,

So far my gear list consists of 3 L lenses (16-35 f4L IS, 135 f2L and 70-200 f4L IS) and one Tamron (45mm f1.8). I am thinking about selling the Tamron, I don’t like the focus accuracy and the sharpness wide open is not so great either. But I am thinking about broadening my lens collection to shoot with on a 5D mark III.

-I’ve been looking at the 24-70 f2.8L II for some time now, stunning sharpness on that lens which I appreciate most on a lens. Then I could get the new 85 f1.4L IS which would be a good low light lens and portrait lens next to the 135 f2L. Also the image stabilization on that lens may compensate for the fact that the 24-70 f2.8L II doesn’t have IS.

-Or I could sell my 70-200 f4L IS, which is a great lens but I often feel like I want an f2.8 aperture on it so I have to switch less to the 135 f2L. Plus the sharpness wide open could be better I feel like (I don’t know how sharpness wide open is on other telephoto lenses, but compared to the 16-35 f4L IS and 135 f2L it is a little worse). I could then buy a 70-200 f2.8L IS II, and next to that one of the rumored new 50mm lenses from Canon coming early next year (50 f1.2L II or 50 f1.4L IS) to fill the gap between 35 and 70mm.

Please let me know which of thes options you would chose, based on your uses of these lenses and your current kit. Also I don’t plan on buying these lenses tomorrow or so, I’ll have to save up a bit.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc dbr's gear list:Marc dbr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow