RRS L-plate for D850, mixed reactions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Julian Vrieslander Senior Member • Posts: 1,056
RRS L-plate for D850, mixed reactions

Over the years I've used a variety of accessories from Really Right Stuff, and always found their products to be well-designed and of high quality. But I have a concern about their L-plate for the D850. Note that I have not personally examined this piece; I'm reacting to the photos on their website:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Nikon-D850

Enlarge the photo linked to the next-to-last thumbnail. To attach this plate, it appears that you need to remove one of the triangular split rings that come installed in the camera's strap eyelets. An allen-head screw anchors this eyelet to the L-component of the plate. In combination with the 1/4-20 screw for the tripod socket, this probably results in a very solid assembly. A camera strap can be looped through a slot in the L-component.

The downside to this design is that it requires more time and effort to install and remove the plate, especially if you want to reattach a camera strap to the eyelet that was screwed to the plate. Not a problem if you plan to leave the plate on the camera.  But with my D800E I can quickly remove the L-plate when I want to go out light without a tripod. A simple OpTech neoprene strap remains attached to the split rings and eyelets, with L-plate on or off. If I use the RRS plate for D850, I 'll need to rethink my strap choices.

Nikon D800E Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow