Can I connect a G9X II in the standard way and use the EOS utility?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Can I connect a G9X II in the standard way and use the EOS utility?

Hi,

I just bought a G9X II and need to connect it to a computer to set it up (set exact date and time from the computer, and so on).

With every other Canon camera I have ever owned (about 10 of them), you plug in the USB cable, allow the system to detect the camera and load drivers (sometimes you have to download a driver from Canon, mostly not), then start the EOS utility.

With the G9X II, the system (Windows 8.1) detects the camera just fine, it shows up correctly in the device manager, you can access the SD card in the camera as a normal drive .... but the EOS Utility does not detect the camera. All settings in the EOS Utility are greyed out except "monitor folder".

Am I doing something wrong? Does the G9X II, for some weird reason, not work with the G Series cameras? If not, how are you supposed to connect to the camera and change settings? Is there some special trick to make it work?

I am not interested in mucking about with wi-fi. That would be a last resort.

(I have a recent EOS Utility version downloaded and installed only a few weeks ago. it works fine with my other cameras - 5D IV, 7D II and various older ones.)

Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II +11 more
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon G9 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow