Wait out new Mac Pro or build my own PC?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
Mlhermer Regular Member • Posts: 143
Wait out new Mac Pro or build my own PC?

Looking for some opinions on the direction I should go. In addition to a recent kernel panic, I seem to be over taxing my main system and have a rather painful IO and navigation experience through my library.

Here is my current setup

  • late 2012 Mac mini (i7 quad core 2.6ghz, 16GB ram, 512 GB SSD (Samsung Evo) &1tb HDD) w/ a USB3 external 120GB SSD for scratch. Thunderbolt monitor (w/ ethernet aggregated to the mini's built in) & 1080p 27" HDMI monitor
  • early 2013 MBPR (i7 quad core 2.7ghz, 16GB ram, 256 GB SSD
  • Lacie 5big pro NAS 8TB of effective storage in RAID 5 w/ ethernets LAGP to load balancing

Current work flow

  • Directly copy files from memory card to a dedicated work folder on Mini's SSD
  • Import into Lightroom w/ minimal file handling (depending upon when I'm ingesting I will let it create 1:1 previews overnight).
  • Flag photos, edit flagged, delete rejected
    • Occasional offload a smart preview only catalog for editing on laptop that is then remerged into master library
    • Usually listening to music and with a few safari tabs open
    • Overall CPU usage seems to range from 20-50% usage
  • Export edited flagged photos to 3mb jpegs (~100/session) to the SSD or directly to the NAS depending on the number of photos. Usually hitting 98% overall CPU usage w/ Lightroom hitting 4-600% CPU (so 2-3 cores using both threads)
  • Upload to client FTP
  • Move files raw files in Lightroom to NAS. Move Jpegs to NAS export archive through OS file move (I don't keep exports in Lightroom)

Since the household is all Apple, I'm hesitant to break out for my desktop. However, it has really gotten painful. With no firm time horizon on the new Mac Pros that are upgradable (and a question of whether or not they will even be in the budget when they do arrive), I'm really torn as to what to do.

Other notes

  • I'm not willing to built a hackintosh
  • I really need a better storage and backup solution
  • Files are coming out of a D5, but I plan on eventually adding a D850 to the mix at some point in the future.
  • I have thought about 'docking' my MBPR, but not really sure it would make that much of a difference.


 Mlhermer's gear list:Mlhermer's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +2 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow