Eclipse Images

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pete Berry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,006
Eclipse Images

Just back from a 7600 mile road trip from Monterey to Maine and back, with the 8/21/17 eclipse from Madras, OR the first stop on the trail. My 7th eclipse...

GH5 with T-Smart Metabones adapted Canon 100-400 vII/2X TC for mainly 4K capture of solar prominences at it's 1600mm EFL reach, or 2160mm in 4K crop mode. But a grand kerfluffle resulted in no video during totality: Somehow I got the on/off video toggle shutter button reversed and didn't pick it up on the screen.

Except for the fist two partial stages seen in full 4K frame, all the below from RAW stills at the lowest 200mm (400mm EFL) setting for the corona, with a good deal of oversampling for the prominence and chromosphere shots.

Pete

Sunspots and 1st Contact at 1 o'clock on disk.

Very near to 2nd Contact (Totality)

Corona. I failed to get exposures longer than 1/60 sec - planned to go down to 1 sec. This from RAW with 5EV exposure increase and extensive curves manipulation.

Prominences shortly after 2nd Contact.

Totality over, with the sun's ~1000 mile thick cooler ruby red Chromosphere layer seen.

The Diamond Ring (with rubies!)

Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow