Nikon D750 Not Focusing In The Dark

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lejpeftq New Member • Posts: 1
Nikon D750 Not Focusing In The Dark

Hey guys,

Recently got a Nikon D750 and use it with a Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 for a lot of club photography.

So this week I'm on stage behind a DJ at a club in Ibiza, and I've got the camera on a monopod. Stupidly, I didn't have proper remote trigger with me, but I came up with a solution.

I use back-button focus (as one should!) and would set the focus to the back of the club. All good. I had it in self-timer mode, with a 2-second delay, then a 3 shot burst (1 shot every second). Worked well - I'd focus, hit the shutter, get the camera up high and it would take three shots. A great workaround for my idiocy!

Shots looked great on the LED screen, and I was able to get the CO2 jets going off, lasers, strobes, and some cool shots of the flame jets too.

Yet when I got back to my villa and looked on my laptop - disaster. Most of the shots were out of focus. The stage was covered in upright poles (imagine like scaffolding) which had LED lights on the front for a cool effect for the audience. The camera focused on those most of the time, despite me setting focus BEFORE taking the shots.

Now I'm uncertain what happened here. AF-S, single point. I thought I was hitting focus in the right place. It was too dark on stage to see the focus window on the lens, and I couldn't use say my phone light to check as I'm meant to be as invisible as possible.

so what happened? Did I set the focus correctly using back-button focus, but then the camera re-focused before the timed shots? Was it simply that the camera doesn't really hit focus well in dark situations? I know the D750 is one of the best in that respect, yet I know no camera can defy the laws of physics.

Is there also some solution I could use to check when the camera is "up high"? Like an app to see Live View and then trigger a shot on my phone?

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow