My biggest E-system grievance - any remedy?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EspE1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,048
My biggest E-system grievance - any remedy?

I'm generally quite satisfied with my set of E-5, 11-22, 14-54 and 50-200, the latter in particular.

The 50-200 has become my most used lens (as I like to pick "details" in the surroundings). I always carry the 50-200 with the lens shade on, and I have an older LowePro bag that is large enough to accomedate the camera and lens with the shade on.

But of course this camera/lens combo is fairly heavy and large and somewhat cumbersome, the latter in particular due to the SWD lens shade which often is a pain in the neck because of its size (and occasionally falling off). As I've now also gotten into the m43-system with an E-M1 mkI, its natural to consider whether this system can offer some satisfying smaller camera-lens combo.

Comparing the 50-200 with the 40-150/2.8 + EC-1.4, I find that the 40-150 by itself is actually 3 mm longer without the 1.4 extender, so for size the 40-150 + 1.4 combo offers only a reduction of about 0,5 cm in diameter anda  loss of weight about 200 grams.

The great attraction offered sizewise by the 40-150 is therefore the retractability of its lens shade, so that it can always be on the lens, but pulled back to cover the lens barrel when wanted.

BUT should I need to dole out all the money needed to switch to a 40-150 mainly because of a lens shade - and 200 grams less? (Well is's also a constant 2.8, but to get the reach similar to the 50-200 one needs the 1.4 extender, which leave the two lenses on par in the long end regarding largest aperture.)

That raises the question of whether just a part of the money needed for the 40-150 could get me another, retractable lens shade for the 50-200?

I know Olympus produces no such thing, but has anybody seen something offered by any other manufacturer?

Or has anybody come across somebody proposing a 3D-printed design for a retractable lens shade for the 50-200?

EspE1's gear list:EspE1's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow