Manual focusing on fly-by-wire MFT lenses for video

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Ashley Struan New Member • Posts: 23
Manual focusing on fly-by-wire MFT lenses for video

I just bought a used Pana 25 1.4 and besides its stunning imagery, I was very surprised by its manual focus capabilities, which was unexpected to me. This lens was produced back in 2011, but its the best manual focus fly-by-wire native MFT lens that I've used so far and by a great margin. I dont own a whole bunch of MFT lenses, just 14-140 zoom (3.5-5.6), 42.5 1.7 and 20 1.7. And they all are PITA for manual focusing, especially 42.5 1.7 which I would consider otherwise a superb small and affordable lens, but its MF is just so wired - one second very slow, then suddenly blazing fast. Completely unreliable for video and I hate its unpredictable acceleration and speed. Who's genius idea was to setup modern MFT lens behaviour like that? The 25 1.4 on the other hand has fast smooth MF with close to none acceleration (I am starting to think there is actually NO acceleration) so I can easily pull focus on any shot without any extra effort or shaking my camera. Its reliable and constant. But all other lenses I've tried are plain terrible at that!

So I wounder, WHY PANASONIC MAKE THEIR CURRENT LENS BEHAVE LIKE THAT?!

And it would be so EASY to correct, just by adding some extra menu setting with a profile for every lens for a) acceleration control (starting from zero) and the lens speed itself. Only two freaking parameters and thats all. That would safe so many people from constant struggle with that MF flybywire bs.

And now try to explain my why its not done yet? And consider that Panasonic stronghold is video, they are perceived by many as video camera makers, they excel in video.. but, they did not offer any solution in that department for all this years. Unexplainable idiocy.

BTW, maybe some hero hacker can modify MFT lenses firmware to change those parameters? That would solve this too.

P.S. Well at least now I have one lens with which I can focus comfortably.

Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow