Trouble with my D810 and a new Nikon 200-500.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lasse p Forum Member • Posts: 58
Trouble with my D810 and a new Nikon 200-500.

Seemingly i have been struck by some bad luck as of late.

I recently purchased a second hand D810 and a couple of both second hand and new lenses.

I got one of the second hand lenses first an older Nikon 80-200 f2.8. It worked alright but after some calibration tests with FoCal i found that it was defocused and sent it back for a refund.

Today i got one of the new lenses. A Nikkor 200-500 F5.6. My first impressions were "holy s***, this is cool". But it quickly turned into frustration. Seemingly it would not auto focus, or it would. It just seemed only to do it periodically. I noticed while testing it out that i would get a F0 Error on my camera display and while taking shots with the lens mounted, i noticed that the viewfinder moved or even vibrated slightly with each shot.

My first thought was "uhh ohh something is broken".

Then i noticed that i can slightly twist the lens while mounted on the camera, causing it to loose connection to the camera. I does not seem to have any give if i tug the lens down or up, but i can twist/rotate it a little.

Now i have looked at both my camera mount and the lens mount, both look fine and the lens clicks into place with a large "CLICK" sound, as it should. But it is clearly not working as it should.

I did not have this same issue with the 80-200 F2.8 but being quite new to DSLR cameras i am unsure if that lens connects in the entirely same way as this one.

I hope you guys can help me clear up if this is a camera or a lens issue, or perhaps even both?

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow