Comparing 2 flashes - guide numbers, iso, zoom - am I right

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ksc6000 Regular Member • Posts: 111
Comparing 2 flashes - guide numbers, iso, zoom - am I right

I have the Phottix Mitros + currently. When I used it at an event recently, I was shooting a lot of photos during the dancing, with the flash pointed straight up at 1/1 power. The flash started to smell a bit of burning so I stopped using it. I tested it the next day and it seems to work fine, but I'm wondering if I caused some damage to it. It's out of warranty. I figured it might die on me during my next event, and maybe I should have a backup.

I see that Godox flashes are pretty popular around here (Are Godox/Flashpoint interchangable?) but I'm trying to understand the spec difference to see if they will produce the same amount of light.

From my understanding, the Flashpoint is a lot weaker because it has a GN of 127 feet at ISO 100 at 200mm. And the Phottix has GN of 197 at ISO 100 at 105mm.

So the way I understand it, the bigger the zoom, the smaller the point that the flash creates which the power is measured on, and that means they're actually giving the Flashpoint double the benefit of the doubt by having it at 200 mm rather than 105 mm.

And then on top of that, it's still got a lower GN. So the way I am reading it, the Flashpoint is significantly weaker.

I am still trying to understand how to compare flashes, but does this assessment seem right?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow