Why I believe mirrorless is the way to go--from a computer scientist's perspective

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lxymichael
lxymichael Regular Member • Posts: 217
Why I believe mirrorless is the way to go--from a computer scientist's perspective

I'll put my argument here: the image recognition part is the decisive factor to separate a DSLR and mirrorless. The mirrorless has an natural advantage to use the sensor for image recognition compared to DSLR. For now, we have known that continuous eye AF is so much a joy to use, letting us focusing on making the picture and forgetting other trivial stuff while making portraits. But it may mean so much more in the future, why?

I happen to work besides one of the best computer vision labs in the world (their code, e.g. facial recognition module, gets burnt into the Qualcomm CPUs which reside in many of your phones). While I do not work in that field, I do have quite a bit of chats with those guys. And I realize SO MUCH has advanced in the past 2 years in image recognition, due to various advanced neural networks. A neural network trained on billions of images can outperform humans in terms of recognizing faces, birds, objects etc. And the trained network can be burnt to a chip. Although often to achieve speed, the network may be adjusted/simplified a bit to make it work, it still performs great in terms of speed and accuracy. This explains the extraordinary performance of EYE AF on A9, of which the prerequisite is to recognize eyes. The A9 does so much better in terms of recognizing eyes compared to A7rii, and on focusing of course, which is another advancement. For now, a neural network can recognize a face of 10*10 pixels with an accuracy of nearly 90%.

And imagine, this does not confine to faces or eyes--it can be anything. What if Sony can integrate other modules, such as recognizing birds out of a bunch of wild animals, cats out of dogs, all of which can be done close to the performance of facial recognition. Whether a micro chip can contain all these modules is beyond my expertise. But I believe with the fast development of chip design, it should not be technically hard. I do wish Sony could integrate the functions to recognize different stuff, maybe in the future:)

-- hide signature --

Played with kit lens setup of Pentax Kr, then Nikon D7000.
Had lots of fun with Fuji X-T10 and the primes;
Sony A7ii meets my current needs: focusing speed, low light performance, IBIS, and great NFC, packed in a small body.
Did I mention it's really fun to pair vintage lenses with it?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
T3
osv
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow