what REALLY is the size relationship between fuji and micro four thirds?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zachy9
zachy9 Forum Member • Posts: 52
what REALLY is the size relationship between fuji and micro four thirds?

I've had a panasonic gx7 and a fuji X-T1 for a while now, with a couple of lenses for each. It's time to pick one and sell the other.

One important (although not decisive) factor for me is the compactness of a system; and I know that on balance MFT = smaller sensor = smaller lenses. But in practice it seems to be a lot more complicated than this. There are a lot of examples where a roughly equivalent lens for x-mount is roughly the same size as its MFT twin like with the fast 85mm equivalents (56 1.2 vs nocticron) or where the fuji is much smaller, as with the fast 50 equivalents (25mm olympus 1.2/35mm 1.4 fuji, although I guess the panaleica 25mm 1.4 is about the same size as the fuji 35). But then there are the cases where the fuji is a lot bigger, as with the F/2.8 70-200 zoom equivalents (35-100 MFT/50-140 fuji).

I understand that in each of the examples I've given, all else is not necessarily equal and that the size of the lens comes down to more than just a calculation from the focal length and f number; there are different lens designs with different sizes etc etc. Can one can speak of an "average" difference between the size of lenses with these two systems? I guess my question is, all else being equal should the ratio between the size/weight of two equivalent lenses be the same as the ratio between the size of their respective sensors? By my math fuji sensors are about 1.66x the area of an MFT sensor. Or is the reality too messy to make such a statement since the relationship between focal length and lens size is so complicated?

Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RAD
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow