Crazy idea: D7200 vs D850?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Harvey Specter
Harvey Specter Regular Member • Posts: 430
Crazy idea: D7200 vs D850?

As a wildlife camera only, what do you think?  I don't really care about difference in FPS.  My main concern is IQ, especially after cropping.  It seems that I have to crop most of my shots on DX, so it's a given I'd be cropping even more on the 850.

The natural choice seems to be the D500, if I'm cropping the FX frame down to DX anyway.  However, for the price, it's hard for me to drop that much cash on a DX camera.  If cropping is important, the D7200 has higher pixel density than the 850 and the 500.

As for noise, I've seen a few comparisons, and I don't think the D500 really does much better than the D7200.  Maybe just a little.  Since the pixel density of the D850 is similar to the D500, I'm betting they will also perform similarly.  If that's the case, the D850 is only going to be slightly better than the D7200, and have less resolution.

And then there is the D7500.  Seems like a downgrade from the D7200 from what I hear.

The more I read about the D850, the more I'm thinking it's something I don't really need.  On top of that, Nikon has managed to bungle up the release (which is typical for them, from what I hear).

Nikon D500 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow