D5500 RAW: underexposing at ISO 100 better than using correct, higher ISO?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
CaMeRa QuEsT Regular Member • Posts: 383
D5500 RAW: underexposing at ISO 100 better than using correct, higher ISO?

I just did some shots in RAW 14bit under an overcast golden hour that came underexposed by mistake by 1-2 EVs, so I had to push them back up to correct exposure in LR and I was surprised to see that the final products were cleaner than the ones I shot exposed correctly at ISO 200 and 400 (noise reduction in LR left at 0 in all cases). Now I'm thinking about trying to shoot at ISO 100 for as long as I'm no more than 3 EVs underexposed to then compensate in post, instead of shooting at higher ISOs.  Only downside is that when chimping, the preview image might be too dark to assess focus properly.   Just wondering how many of you do this with their 24Mp Nikon DX bodies and how well are your experiences.

CaMeRa QuEsT's gear list:CaMeRa QuEsT's gear list
Nikon D5500 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +23 more
Nikon D5500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow