Frustrated with the 35 1.4G

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MichaelK81 Regular Member • Posts: 203
Frustrated with the 35 1.4G

I've owned this lens for a number of years, taking it out of my camera bag form time to time.  Every time I do, I figure I'll give it another chance.  And every time it disappoints.  For full body environmental portraits, the thing is just too darn soft at 1.4.  I've toyed with AF-Fine Tune time and time again, but the softness seems inherent.  When I recently upgraded my camera from the D4 to D5, I've seen a significant improvement in AF accuracy on my 85 1.4 and 105 1.4.  The D5 seemed to breathe new light into those lenses.  Sadly, the 35 remains unchanged.

I've referenced DXO Mark to see how the 35 1.4 stacks up, and true to my experience with this lens, it doesn't rate very well.

I can't say I'll be sorry to part with it.  I'm going to give the 28 1.4 a try.  Reviews are limited, and the lens doesn't appear on DXO Mark yet, but the 35 is going off on eBay tomorrow.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Nikon D4 Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow