Workflow for quickly culling photos

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,185
Workflow for quickly culling photos

I'd guess that many here are like me in that they take a great many digital images for each keeper. Unlike the day of film when each shot was carefully planned, once you own the equipment these days, the marginal cost of takin an extra frame is $0. Also, I do a lot of burst-type shooting for action - and with the 24 fps burst rate of the little RX100V, for example, it doesn't take long to accumulate a ton of stuff to sort through.

I'd be curious to hear about your workflow for this process, that I find increasing tedious).

FWIW, here's what I do. First, I very quickly scroll though each frame in the old Windows photo viewer (because it quick, allows zooming with the mouse wheel and I can delete with one click instead of having to confirm each delete with another click). The only deletes I make are obviously hopeless frames - blurred, OOF, shots of the ground or sky, etc. Then, I go back through in the old Windows photo viewer and try to pick the two or three best among similar frames, looking at overall composition, focus and exposure, deleting everything else. This goes pretty quickly, too. Then I go through it again in the old Windows photo viewer, trying to narrow it down to keeping only the single best of each similar frame - this takes a good bit of time. Now I've probably go only 10-20 frames left from a given outing. I call them up in groups in PS and really look carefully at them, compare them, and maybe try a few very basic adjustments to see how they will stand up to post-processing. This also takes a good bit of time. I cull those that don't make the cut for any reason - am VERY ruthless about this because I already have a zillion pics, don't need another one that is less than excellent. Now, I might have 4 or 5 left and I do serious post-processing on those, trying to make them as good as they can be - I save the results. Then, I may use 1 or 2 of those to put up on Flickr, post here or whatever. This whole process takes hours.

How do you deal with this?

Greg

PS: a gratuitous pic of Chase on a trail in my woods early in the day:

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow